[B-Greek] ANUPOKRITOS in Wisdom 18:15

Webb Mealy webb at selftest.net
Mon Jun 16 17:20:47 EDT 2008

I don't know what this is worth, but it seems to be that it is not a long
stretch from the concept that God was not pretending when the decree went
out (i.e. not playing around or posturing) to the concept that the decree is
irrevocable. hUPOKRITIKOS doesn't really look like "revocable" in the narrow
sense of "capable of being revoked" to me, and big LSJ doesn't have any such
meaning. It does offer "acting a part, pretending to". I suspect that
translators are trying to squash the notion of "dead serious and no messing
around" into one single adjective that can describe a decree.

Webb Mealy