[B-Greek] Matt 16:18 EPI + dative?

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 05:15:20 EDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 10:31 PM, newsgroupstuff wrote:

>> In Mt 16:18 on the other
>> hand, although the same verb OIKODOMEW is used, the construction of
>> EPI + dative involves stationery position, answering the
>> question, "at what point is the foundation to be laid?"
>>

>> Carl W. Conrad
>> Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
>
> Thanks Carl. But I'm not quite sure what you mean. What is the
> answer to the
> question "at what point is the foundation to be laid?"

It's customary to speak of adverbial phrases as answering questions of
"when," "where," "why," etc. EPI THi PETRAi answers the question "at
what point is the foundation to be laid?" I was trying to
differentiate between EPI + acc. which indicates point to which/upon
which action is directed and EPI + dat. which indicates a stationery
point of focus.

Carl W. Conrad