[B-Greek] John's Theme of "Sending"

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Thu Jun 19 23:48:04 EDT 2008

Dear Carlton, Elizabeth, et al,

Carlton, thanks for the translation of John 13:16 and Elizabeth, thanks for the
references to Exodus 3.

It appears that John 13:16 is the only place in John that uses the noun
APOSTOLOS; all the other uses are verbal forms. I think that this is highly
interesting considering the reference to Exodus and the continual allusions in
John to "Law came through Moses, but grace and truth by Jesus Christ." It seems
that John is clearly indicating similarities between Moses and Jesus. Both were
"sent ones."

It seems that the continual refrain about the "one who sent me" by Jesus is most
likely referring to Genesis 49:8, Exodus 3, Psalm 118, Isaiah 6:8, 48:16-17
(there may be others) and concepts as "The Angel of the LORD" sent from God as
God's direct representative to Israel in Exodus 23:20-22. This must have come
from Jesus and I think is confirmed by the APOSTELLW/PEMPW found on Jesus' lips
some 38x between chapters 5-17 (the majority in chapters 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, & 17)

“Sending” in John (both ἀποστέλλω and πέμπω appear to be used
interchangeably)
John the B. sent by God:
1:6 παρὰ θεοῦ,
1:33 to baptize in water,
3:28 ahead of the Messiah

Jesus sent by God:
3:17 that the world might be saved
4:34 to accomplish God’s work
5:23, 5:24, 5:30, 5:36, 5:37, 5:38, 6:29, 6:38, 6:39, 6:44, 6:57, 7:16, 7:18,
7:28, 7:29, 7:33, 8:16, 8:18, 8:26, 8:29, 8:42, 9:4, 10:36, *11:42, 12:44,
12:45,12:49, 13:20,
14:24,15:21,16:5,*17:3,*17:8,17:18,*17:21,*17:23,*17:25,20:21
[The astericks indicate that Jesus is the object of faith]

Disciples sent by Jesus:
4:38 to reap;13:20,*17:18,*20:21

H.S. sent by Jesus:
14:26 sent by the Father
15:26 sent by Jesus
16:7 sent by Jesus

Now, SHALACH = APOSTELLW/PIMPW, and it does not appear much in the
Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, Rabbinic literature, DSS, Josephus nor Philo, but is
found in the Mishnah, but may be too late for purposes under discussion. It is
used by the Gnostics, but that is clearly toward the end of the NT. The LXX uses
 it some 700x for SHALACH = APOSTELLW; 5x for PIMPW. It clearly is indicating
the authority of the one to fulfill a particular function more than it is the
office. What is interesting is that the noun, APOSTOLOS is used more in the NT
(78x) than in the LXX (only in I Kings 14:6) and is used to mean "messenger" and
as a specific title of office, "The Apostles = The Twelve." This is contrast to
Classical Greek (see TDNT & NIDNTT). Much ink has been spilt on the Apostles,
but not very much on Jesus = The Sent One. This is what brought me to the list
to ask the question I did. I especially am wondering if it was even in current
thought in time of the Second Temple Period and Jesus!(?). It seemsJohn is
showing that the theme of the "Sent One" originated from Jesus.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III