[B-Greek] Acts 20:24

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 01:37:29 EDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 6:47 AM, Vasile Stancu wrote:

> How could this phrase in Acts 20:24 be translated as literally as
> possible:
>
> ἀλλ’ οὐδενὸς λόγου ποιοῦμαι τὴν
> ψυχὴν τιμίαν ἐμαυτῷ
> ALL' OUDENOS LOGOU POIOUMAI THN YUXHN TIMIAN EMAUTW
>
> How to explain the use of the Genetive LOGOU?

Another alternative is to read the Byzantine textform (Robinson/
Pierpont 2005) which has two clauses with different thoughts:

ACTS 20:24 ALL' OUDENOS LOGON POIOUMAI, OUDE ECW THN YUCHN MOU TIMIAN
EMAUTWi ...

"I take account of none of these things nor do I hold my life precious
to myself ..." Trans. C.K.Barrett (Acts ICC, v.2 p971).

In this reading the OUDENOS LOGON refers to the multiple warnings
mentioned in the immediately preceding context and for that reason
presents a more cohesive discourse than the text of NA/USB.
C.K.Barrett rejects this reading because it looks like a conflation of
the western reading D and one or two others. That issue is for another
forum.

Elizabeth Kline