Re: Galatians 1:10

From: David Anvar (anvar@garnet.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 1995 - 02:24:05 EDT

Afterwards Edgar Krentz wrote:
>I did two things to answer your question. I first checked a series of
>commentaries on my shelves: Burton (ICC), Betz (Hermeneia), Dunn (BNTC),
>Lietzmann (HNT), Guthrie (NCB), Oepke (ThHKNT), Rohde (ThHKNT, newest
>ed)Bruce (NIGTC),J.B. Lightfoot, Schlier (KEK, 13th ed.), Luehrmann
>(Continental commentary),Lagrange, Bring, and Ebeling....
                <Text Removed>
>...the consensus of commentators appears to be against Calvin's
>interpretation. And so it is *not* generally accepted.

Travis,

It does seem that the consensus of opinions rest against Calvin's
interpretation of Gal 1:10, but I thought you may be interested in
another reference I came across in John Brown's exposition of Galatians.
(A reprint of the William Oliphant & Sons, 1853 version) on pages 49-50
(I'll quote in English) "Calvin supposes an ellipsis, 'Do I respect
men or God in my persuasions?' All these (referring to interpretations
 including Calvin's) expositions are unsatisfactory..." Brown also gives
reference to Bos who was for a time was of the same opinion as Calvin.
See Bos *Ellipses*, Glasg. 1813. The latter editions of the work do not
have the explanation. I don't have the book, but perhaps if you know
someone with many commentaries on their shelves you may be luck. :)

David Anvar
U.C. Berkeley
"For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."