Re: XWREW

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 14:48:00 EST

Dear Rick,

>I have a question concerning XWREW, especially
>as it is used in 2 Pt.3:9.
>
>The basic meaning of the word appears to be
>"make room, give way" (Bauer). While some passages
>seem to require the translation "go," or "reach," or
>"come," (e.g., Mt.15:17), others may be translated
>"have room for, hold, contain" (Mk.2:2; Jn.2:6; Jn.21:25).
>
>Some sources suggest that XWREW may be
>translated "to make room, to have room for," (e.g.,
>Reinecker-Rogers, A.T.Robertson's Word Pictures,
>et al.).
>
>Is it likely that XWREW has this meaning in
>2 Pt.3:9?

Perhaps it is the season and so many of our list members may be away from
their e-mail but we seem to have a lot of orphan questions lately (questions
seemingly with no answers). Well, let me make a stab at it.

I would say that both translations are possible and make good sense. If one
understands XWREW to be used here in the sense of movement (going from where
one is, unrepentance, to where God wants one to be, repentance) then EIS
METANOIAN might be understood in a sort of local sense (repentance as an
attitude or frame of mind to or toward which one moves, although the place is
not on any map but in one's heart or mind).

If, on the other hand, one understands XWREW to be used in the sense of making
room for something (which classically also contains the idea of movement, one
moves oneself or some other thing out of the way in order to make room for
someone or something else) then EIS might be taken as indicating purpose.

So XWREW certainly may have this meaning in this passage. The idea of making
room is quite picturesqe and might be used quite effectively in preaching. I'm
not sure how one would decide between the two on purely lexical, grammatical,
and syntactic grounds however.

May the contemplation of the incarnation of the Son of God made flesh instill
in you steadfast faith, lasting joy, unshakeable peace, and sure hope of
heavenly splendor.

Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."