Re: KAMIILON

From: Noel Maddy (ncm@biostat.hfh.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 12:38:09 EST

[KAMIILON through a metaphorical or actual needle...]

Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:

> The harshness of the saying is always there as long as we put
> away this idea that "the idea of a needle" is some kind of gate...

And this harshness is necessitated, IMHO, by the disciples' response.

TIS ARA DUNATAI SWQHNAI (Matthew) -- if it *were* just a small gate,
and the rich man/camel had to remove all his belongings/packs, then
why would they immediately think that it would be difficult for
*anyone* to be saved? -- they weren't all that rich, themselves.

And Jesus' response, "PARA ANQRWPOIS TOUTO ADUNATON ESTIN,
PARA DE QEWi PANTA DUNATA", indicates that their surprise
was completely warranted -- that his original statement was
that salvation is impossible for man, rather than just difficult.

--
      -- 'Tis a poor sort of truth that needs *my* commitment. --

Noel Maddy <nmaddy1@biostat.hfh.edu>