FHMI or LEGW

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 07:02:06 EST

I can find no semantic reason for using FHMI instead of LEGW in Acts 8:36 to
introduce the request of the Ethiopian eunuch. My research in BAGD, Louw&Nida
and others indicates that FHMI could be replaced with LEGW here with no
discernible difference in meaning.

I assume that there is a stylistic reason for this occasional use of FHMI. I
am wondering if some one on the list with a sensitive "ear" for stylistic
nuances might comment on Luke's choice of this word. I could use some
enlightenment on this and other things (please hold your applause).

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point