YUCHN in Jude 15

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 12:39:13 EST

Believe it or not, but we don't bring all our translation problems to
the list. Yet I ran into another problem in Jude 15 that I can't seem
to crack. (Perhaps I need to stop comparing our translation to other,
more established ones! The problem with that is that the ones who test
the accuracy of the text with the hope of recommending it *are* looking
at the English versions.)

In the quote of Enoch 1, I find both N-A and UBS texts using the phrase
ELEGXAI PASAN YUCHN PERI PANTWN TWN ERGWN ASEBEIAS AUTWN. Again, I
find no variant listed. Yet commentaries seem to indicate that,
instead of YUCHN, there is actually a form of ASEBEIS, and, instead of
ELEGXAI, the word was EXELEGXAI. KJV and other major versions follow
this reading. The alternate form of the verb does not seem to cause
major translation problems, but what support is there for this
conviction only of all the ungodly as opposed "all souls"?

Thanks for the help,

Paul

-----