re: Philemon 6

From: Richard Lindeman (richlind@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 21:00:58 EST

OOPS!
I just caught a major mistake in my quotation of verse 17... so I will
repost.
Sorry about that.

Back to Philemon 6... Katy Barnwell certainly raises enough questions to
keep us busy on it for awhile, but it sure would be nice to have a few
others join in the discussion! Just dive in anywhere... the water is nice
and warm. :-)

Katy Barnwell writes:

>Here are three alternative interpretations that seem to be the most
>likely of a range of possibilities suggested by commentators:
>
>(3) Sharing means "fellowship" as in the first interpretation, but
> here it is the fellowship Paul and Timothy (as writers of the
> letter) have with Philemon (to whom they are writing) that is in
> focus. The words "in the knowledge of every good thing" refer to
> the result of their fellowship. Thus the Good News Bible (GNB)
> takes the meaning to be that as Philemon fellowships with Paul and
> Timothy, they will come to ?a deeper understanding of every
> blessing which we have in our life in union with Christ.
Of the three possibilities that Katy offers... I guess that I have to vote
for
what's behind door #3. The reason why I think that this is the answer is
essentially because of Philemon 17 where Paul begins the summary of the
epistle. EI OUN ME EXEIS KOINWNON PROSLABOU AUTON hWS EME
"So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me."

I think that in verse 17 Paul is essentially telling us what he means by
KOINWNIA in
verse 6. I'm not saying that I agree with the Good News Bible translation
here. But
I definitely think that this is the kind of fellowship that Paul has in
mind.

Rich Lindeman