Re: Col. 2:11

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 10:14:08 EDT

On Tue 23 Jun 98 (14:50:06), questioning1@yahoo.com wrote:
> How should we render EN hWi KAI PERIETMHQHTE in Col. 2:11?

 Edgar:

 IMHO we should let Scripture interpret Scripture; especially when we have
 other epistles of Paul to control what is written in this epistle of Paul.

 Compare Romans 2:28-29: OU GAR hO EN TWi FANERWi IOUDAIOS ESTIN, OUDE hH
 EN TWi FANERWi EN SARKI PERITOMHá ALL' hO EN TWi KRUPTWi IOUDAIOS, KAI
 PERITOMH KARDIAS EN PNEUMATI OU GRAMMATI, hOU hO EPAINOS OUK EX ANQRWPWN
 ALL' EK TOU QEOU.

 This is the "PERITOMHi ACEIROPOIHTWi EN THi APEKDUSEI TOU SWMATOS THS
 SARKOS, EN THi PERITOMHi TOU CRISTOU" (rest of Col 2:11).

 PERIETMHQHTE is the 2nd pers pl Aorist Passive Indicative of PERITEMNW,
 to cut around, /sc./ to circumcise. It is used as a technical term to
 translate the Hebrew MuWL, to remove the foreskin as a religious rite of
 great significance according to the Abrahamic Covenant.

 Paul is making a direct comparison of Circumcision with Baptism (read on
 to including verse 15). So your translation of EN hWi KAI PERIETMHQHTE
 must lead up to this.

 "EN hWi" (for EN CRISTWi) is itself a Pauline technical term; compare its
 many occurrences in Ephesians 1:3-14.

 ERRWSQE

 Ben

--