Re: Col. 2:11

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 12:29:28 EDT

---Ben Crick wrote:

>On Tue 23 Jun 98 (14:50:06), questioning1@yahoo.com >wrote:

>How should we render EN hWi KAI PERIETMHQHTE in Col. >2:11?

>Edgar:

> IMHO we should let Scripture interpret Scripture; >especially when
we have
> other epistles of Paul to control what is written in >this epistle
of Paul.

> Compare Romans 2:28-29: OU GAR hO EN TWi >FANERWi IOUDAIOS ESTIN,
OUDE hH
> EN TWi FANERWi EN SARKI PERITOMH· ALL' hO EN TWi >KRUPTWi IOUDAIOS,
KAI
>PERITOMH KARDIAS EN PNEUMATI OU GRAMMATI, hOU hO >EPAINOS OUK EX
ANQRWPWN
>ALL' EK TOU QEOU.

>This is the "PERITOMHi ACEIROPOIHTWi EN THi APEKDUSEI >TOU SWMATOS THS
>SARKOS, EN THi PERITOMHi TOU CRISTOU" (rest of Col >2:11).

Ben,

I agree that the "circumcisions" mentioned in both Pauline Epistles
are synonymous. The focus differs in the two theological treatises,
but the rite described is the same.

>PERIETMHQHTE is the 2nd pers pl Aorist Passive >Indicative of
PERITEMNW,
>to cut around, /sc./ to circumcise. It is used as a >technical term to
> translate the Hebrew MuWL, to remove the foreskin as >a religious
rite of
> great significance according to the Abrahamic >Covenant.

> Paul is making a direct comparison of Circumcision >with Baptism
(read on
> to including verse 15). So your translation of EN >hWi KAI
PERIETMHQHTE
> must lead up to this.

Personally, I don't think that Paul is discussing literal baptism in
Col. 2:12. He seems to have reference to a symbolic "baptism." In Eph.
2:1-7, forgiveness of sins is linked--not with baptism--but with God's
declaration of righteousness through Christ. John also records that
Christ's blood cleanses one from sins (baptism does not).

> "EN hWi" (for EN CRISTWi) is itself a Pauline >technical term;
compare its
> many occurrences in Ephesians 1:3-14.

Here's the primary question I have, Ben. Should we understand Col.
2:11 to be saying:

"In connection with whom you were also circumcised" or

"In him [i.e., via mystical union with him] you were also circumcised"

Thanks,

Edgar Foster

Classics Major

Lenoir-Rhyne college