Re: Jude 14

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 07:33:44 EDT

I'm very sorry about this; I was thinking I'd erased the list-address from
the cc line and I intended to send this only to Jim; nevertheless, perhaps
this is something that may be helpful to others: I think it is really more
helpful to all when answers to queries are accompanied by explanations of
reasons for choosing a particular response.

At 7:29 AM -0400 7/30/98, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 5:05 PM +0000 7/27/98, Jim West wrote:
>>At 12:42 PM 7/27/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>>Jude 14 reads:
>>>
>>>ENWX LEGWN IDOU HLQEN KURIOS EN MURIASIN
>>>
>>>Should we view HLQEN here as a proleptic, or gnomic aorist?
>>
>>proleptic.
>
>OFF-LIST: Jim, I mean no offense, and I certainly don't find anything
>disrespectful in your response, but I'd like to make a suggestion; I see
>these brief one-word responses from you not too infrequently, although
>there are times often enough when you give a fuller response and explain
>your choice of a response or offer your analysis. I think the most useful
>function of B-Greek for many of our subscribers is strengthening their
>grip upon NT Greek grammatical usage and idiom; I think most might find
>such a response more useful if it argued and explained your answer--and
>your real contribution to the list would be enhanced.
>
>Regards, c

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu