Once more, my SBL article

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 13:48:19 EDT

B-Greeks,

In late August I sent the following message to the list:

> As both Edward and I have mentioned, SBL approaches. And, as I have also
> noted (but I hope not ad nauseam) I will be presenting a paper in the Q
> section on the meaning of the "lead us not into PEIRASMOS" clause of the
> Lord's Prayer entitled "Testing Temptation: The Meaning of Q 11:4b".
>
> The paper has the distinction not only of being born here within the
> confines of B-Greek (since it was a question from Jonathan on Matt.
> 6:14//Lk. 11:4 that provided the impetus for me to put some thoughts
> about it into [cyber]text); but also of growing towards something
> approximating its present shape as a result of exchanges about its topic
> posted here on the list. And it is because of how valuable I found those
> exchanges that I am writing now.
>
> The paper is, for all intents and purposes, near its final form (which
> by the way, differs in some respects from the written version I
> distributed to certain members of B-Greek at the end of last year). And
> I *think* it's in pretty good shape. But since this will be my first
> presentation to the national SBL, I want to make sure that it is as
> clear and convincing as it can possibly be. So I should like to offer to
> send it to anyone on the list who would like to see it -- with the
> stipulation that I receive from those requesting it any suggestions
> he/she might have for its improvement.
>
> So if you are interested in seeing the paper AND think you will be able
> to send me comments upon it by the end of September, please contact me
> OFF-LIST at the address below.

You may now wish to know that (thanks to the kindness of Mark Goodacre
over on Synoptic-L) the article can now be downloaded from:

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l/gibson.htm

I mention this for two reasons. First, the paper has changed in many
respects from the version I made available in late August/early Sept.
Second, I am still eager to receive comments from any one who may be
interested in seeing the piece.

Reply off list to my address below.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson