Re: hO LOGOS

From: dd-1@juno.com
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 20:42:23 EST

Edgar, Denny Diehl here

>>I believe the first philosophical use of the term LOGOS was in the
>mid sixth-century BC by Heraclitus who lived in Ephesus. He saw the
>world as an ever-changing phenomenon, yet as much as it was
>continually changing, the more it remained the same. What kept the
>world orderly and from complete chaos, he described as the
>LOGOS (reason) of God.<
>
>With all respect, Denny, I don't know if I would say that Heraclitus
>described hO LOGOS as "the LOGOS (reason) of God." Looking at the
>Heraclitean fragments makes me inclined to seriously doubt such an
>interpretation of the Ephesian philosopher.

That could very well be. It has been years since I studied the
pre-Socratic,
and I looked for my paper on him and can't find it. However, I remember
an illustration concerning a river which was constantly changing, which
change should bring chaos, however the cosmos is anything but chaotic.
I remember the philosopher ascribing that to LOGOS. If you have his
fragmentary writings in electronic form, would it be possible for you to
post it, or portions of it for our consideration?

All the best,

Denny