Re: reason for b-greek

From: Larry Swain (swainl@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 09 1998 - 20:48:27 EST

Always an interesting question. Here are some random reasons.

1) One is always subject to the choices (even educated choices) of the
translator(s) in doing Biblical studies if one does not know the original
languages. And even though we may trust those translators, nevertheless
it is more useful in doing serious study (which is not limited to
<i>academic</i> study though includes it certainly) to actually know the
language.

2) Corollary A to the above: many sermons include references to what I
call "theology by grammar" where some important theological point is made
because it rests on an interpretation of aorist aspect or the most unusual
meaning and least attested meaning of the Greek word-learning Greek
helps prevent bad theology

3) It helps one learn the grammar of one's own language

4) It is what helps make a person "educated" in the classic sense rather
than merely capable of doing some technical thing

5) It takes one a step closer to the people who actually used the language
2000 years

6) it is challenging

7) It is great intellectual training....I have the utmost faith in the
fact that if you can conquer Greek you can conquer anything. I'm earn my
pay (for the moment anyway) as a computer geek never having taken any
computer courses ever-and I do a good job at it. BUT I am convinced that
the mental training that Latin and Greek gave me (even though my skills
are much rustier than I would like them to be at the moment) makes me
able to do that job better.

8) But most of all, ITS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Swain