Re: ARNEOMAI and the double accusative

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 13:14:17 EST

CEP7@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of any references, either biblical or nonbiblical where
> ARNEOMAI or any of its verbal cognates is constructed with a double accusative
> of person/thing? What difference in meaning would it make between having the
> double accusative versus having the single accusative of person. How would
> this affect the meaning of APARNEOMAI in a text like 2 Tim 2:12?

Charles ,

Could you expand this question a little?

I took a look at 30 occurrences ofARNEOMAI in the GNT and found two with
compound accusatives but none with what I would call a double
accusative. In 1 John 2:22 and Titus 2:12 we have compound accusatives
with KAI.

In 2Tim 2:12,13 we have tree occurrences of ARNEOMAI (two finite and one
infinitive) each with a single accusative. So I am a little puzzled
about how the issue of a double accusative could apply here.

Could you clarify?

Thanks.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew