Re: 1 Cor 13:6 SUNCAIREI DE THi ALHQEIAI

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 18:19:36 EST

At 05:12 PM 1/13/99 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 5:18 PM -0500 1/13/99, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>1 Cor 13:6 SUNCAIREI DE THi ALHQEIAI
>>
>>As I read it, this personifies truth, and pictures love rejoicing together
>>with truth, right? And ADIKIA, unrighteousness, is not personified, right?
>
>It may seem easiest to translate it this way, but you ought to be aware of
>a standard practice in ancient rhetoric of using an abstract noun to
>represent a category of concrete individuals (e.g. youth of Athens = young
>Athenians). So here ADIKIA and ALHQEIA could well be understood as hOI
>ADIKOUNTES and hOI ALHQEUONTES.

Oh, that's interesting! So using this approach, I might translate, "love
does not rejoice over those who are unrighteous, but rejoices together with
those who are of the truth", eh?

What do you think of translations that say "rejoices in the truth"? Am I
justified in being uncomfortable with this translation?

>Of course, the next thing you're going to ask me to do is give other
>examples of this from the NT, right? I guess I'm not prepared to do that
>right away, so you can take this with much salinity, if you choose.

Oh, Carl, I would NEVER do that to you! (grin!)

Besides, I think I can come up with some examples of this.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no