Give God glory!

From: John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 06 1999 - 12:03:15 EST

At John 9:24 the Net Translation (www.bible.org/netbible/index.htm) has
the following note
"ÒGive glory to GodÓ (an idiomatic formula used in placing someone under
oath to tell the truth). "--
My experience has been that this translation and its notes are usually
well and carefully done. However, my search of the LXX for DONXON TWi
QEWi, renders only Ps. Ps. 67:35 Ps. 68:35 M, Ps 68:34 English. A
similar search of the UBS 4th ed. yields: Luke 17:18, John 9:24, Acts
12:23, Rom 4:20, Rev 11:13. All are about giving glory to God, but none
(unless it be granted at John 9:24) are in an oath context.

My question: Are others aware of this as an "idiomatic formula used in
placing someone under oath to tell the truth)"? Is it used that way in
extra biblical texts of which I am unaware?

With their "Promise before God to tell the truth" for DOS DOXAN TWi QEWi
this usually careful translation seem to have moved farther toward
interpretation than they normally do and I'm baffled to figure out why.

Thanks

JM

Rev. John M. Moe
St. John's Lutheran Church, Rich Valley