Re: Give God glory!

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 1999 - 21:03:32 EST

John M. Moe wrote:

> At John 9:24 the Net Translation (www.bible.org/netbible/index.htm) has
> the following note
> "ñGive glory to Godî (an idiomatic formula used in placing someone under
> oath to tell the truth). "--
> My experience has been that this translation and its notes are usually
> well and carefully done. However, my search of the LXX for DONXON TWi
> QEWi, renders only Ps. Ps. 67:35 Ps. 68:35 M, Ps 68:34 English. A
> similar search of the UBS 4th ed. yields: Luke 17:18, John 9:24, Acts
> 12:23, Rom 4:20, Rev 11:13. All are about giving glory to God, but none
> (unless it be granted at John 9:24) are in an oath context.
>
> My question: Are others aware of this as an "idiomatic formula used in
> placing someone under oath to tell the truth)"? Is it used that way in
> extra biblical texts of which I am unaware?
>
> With their "Promise before God to tell the truth" for DOS DOXAN TWi QEWi
> this usually careful translation seem to have moved farther toward
> interpretation than they normally do and I'm baffled to figure out why.
>
> Thanks
>
> JM
>
> Rev. John M. Moe
> St. John's Lutheran Church, Rich Valley
> http://www.state.net/sjrv/
>
> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: jsmurray@execpc.com

For the O.T., Joshua 7:19 quite clearly has this meaning. In either
case, given the context of both passages, to take DOXA as praise in the
usual sense doesn't make much sense.

What I've been wondering, though, is whether DOUS DOXAN TWi QEWi in Rom.
4:20 also has this sense of "telling the truth". In this case, I would
understand passage as saying that Abraham was empowered in faith as he
told the truth about what God had done for him.

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to this possible translation in
Rom 4:20?

James Murray
Racine, WI