Re: Gospel of Peter 10

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 13:55:08 EDT

At 4:55 PM +0000 5/26/99, Mark Goodacre wrote:
>Gospel of Peter 10 (line 10 in Swete; v. 46 in Mara) has:
>
>APOKRIQEIS hO PEILATOS EFH EGW KAQAREUW TOU hAIMATOS TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU, hUMIN
>DE TOUTO EDOCEN.
>
>Does anyone have any good ideas about how to translate the last clause? M.R.
>Swete renders "but this was your pleasure" in his translation. In his
>notes he
>has "the sentence was yours, not mine": compare Matt. 26.66: TI hUMIN DOKEI."
>M. R. James has "but thus it seemed good unto you". BAGD do list "it seems
>best to me, I decide" as possible for DOKEW but only in the category "with
>infinitive following" (e.g. Luke 1.3).

I would understand the clause, hUMIND DE TOUTO EDOXEN to mean, "and that is
what you wanted" = "and that is what was decided by you" or "and that was
your pleasure." It looks to me not at all like Mt 26:66 but rather like
the standard Attic decree formula, EDOXE THi TE EKKLHSIAi KAI TWi DHMWi TWN
AQHNAIWN + an infinitive phrase setting forth the legislation or decree in
this particular instance.

Interesting here is KAQAREUW: it is the intransitive verb, "be clean"; it
doesn't appear a single time in the GNT, although the active KAQARIZW,
"cleanse" or "purify" is common enough. I think the more common older Attic
verb was KAQAIRW, from which is derived KAQARSIS KTL.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu