RE: titles not available

From: Neighbarger,Rick (neighbar@oclc.org)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 08:22:15 EDT

I pulled this from our OCLC FirstSearch databases. Hope it helps.

Rick Neighbarger
Senior Systems Analyst
Reference Products Section
Software Quality Department
Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
neighbar@oclc.org
(614) 764-6158

---

There's no location listed for the dissertation, only an abstract and bibliographic info. I'm a systems analyst, not a librarian, so I'm not sure where you'd go to get it. Perhaps Dallas' library would provide it since they hold it?

Database: Dissertations Title: THE ARTICLE WITH MULTIPLE SUBSTANTIVES CONNECTED BY KAI' IN THE NEW TESTAMENT: SEMANTICS AND SIGNIFICANCE Author(s): WALLACE, DANIEL BAIRD Degree: PH.D. Year: 1995 : DALLAS THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY; 0341 Advisor: Adviser:; BUIST M. FANNING, III Source: DAI, 56, no. 05A, (1995) Abstract: The thesis of this dissertation is that the semantics of the article-substantive-$kappaalphaacuteiota$ -substantive construction (TSKS) have been largely misunderstood. This misunderstanding has adversely impacted the exegesis of several theologically significant texts. The body of the dissertation is divided into three parts: historical investigation, linguistic-phenomenological analysis of the construction, and exegetical implications. That is to say, the reasons for the misunderstanding are traced historically; a better comprehension of the semantics of the construction is established by an examination of primary literature in the light of linguistic theory; and the implications of this analysis are applied to a number of passages in the New Testament. Historically, our treatment begins with a clear grammatical principle articulated by Granville Sharp, and ends with the present-day confusion. In 1798 Sharp published a monograph in which he articulated a rule of Greek grammar, to the effect that in TSKS, when the substantives were singular, personal, and other than proper names, both had the same referent. He applied this to christologically significant passages such as Titus 2:13 and 2 Peter 1:1. But Sharp's canon has been frequently misunderstood, and consequently, assumed to be invalid. An examination of the New Testament data and other ancient Greek literature revealed that Sharp's rule has a general validity in the language. All so-called exceptions seemed to be more apparent than real, and can be accounted for on linguistic principle. Further, the various permutations of TSKS displayed different, but nevertheless relatively coherent, patterns of meaning. Plural personal constructions rarely involved identical referents, except with participles; plural nouns were typically referentially discrete, but several examples involved some sort of overlap. Impersonal constructions only rarely suggested identity of referent; they routinely implied distinct or overlapping entities. A number of exegetically significant texts are affected by the linguistic-phenomenological investigation. In particular, there is a strong antecedent probability that the constructions in Matthew 24:3, Ephesians 2:20, 4:11, and 2 Thessalonians 2:1 probably do not imply identity, while the constructions in Titus 2:13 and 2 Peter 1:1 most likely do. SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: RELIGION, BIBLICAL STUDIES ; ; LANGUAGE, ANCIENT ; LANGUAGE, LINGUISTICS Accession No: AAI9531285 ---

And this is for the book. I'm not sure if you're looking to Interlibrary Loan this item or actually purchase it. If it's an ILL you're looking for, this info is what you need. It's not listed in any newer editions in Books in Print so if you want to purchase it you'd probably have to try your luck with used book stores.

Libraries with Item: "The papyrus fragments of ..."( Record for Item )Location Code Library KY KTS SOUTHERN BAPTIST THEOL SEMINARY

Record for Item: "The papyrus fragments of ..."( Libraries with Item )

Database: WorldCat Title: The papyrus fragments of the Greek New Testament / Author(s): Schofield, Ellwood Mearle Year: 1936 Description: vi, 363 leaves : ill. ; 29 cm. Language: English SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Manuscripts, Greek (Papyri) Title Subject: Bible. N.T. Manuscripts. Greek. Note(s): Bibliography: leaves 352-363./ Dissertation: Thesis (Ph. D.)--Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1936. Responsibility: Ellwood Mearle Schofield. Document Type: Book Accession No: OCLC: 19719280