Re: Luke 16:9

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 18:09:36 EDT

Kevin Mullins wrote;

>I don't understand why EKLIPHi is singular here. Is it used as an impersonal
>verb?
>
>Lk 16:9 KAI EGW hUMIN LEGW, hEAUTOIS POIHSATE FILOUS EK TOU MAMWNA THS
>ADIKIAS,
>hINA hOTAN EKLIPHi DEXWNTAI hUMAS EIS TAS AIWNIOUS SKHNAS.
>
>As an aside, I would be interested in off list comments as to Jesus story line
>and purpose in these verses.

There are no variants listed in N-A 27 for EKLIPHi. Note that this verb is
aorist subjunctive. I think that it is 3rd sing because it is refering to
TOU MAMWNA as an "it". "Whenever it is gone" . . .

This is a much disputed passage in Luke. You might want to read several
commentaries on it so as to understand the use of TOU MAMWNA THS ADIKIAS
for what appear to us to be selfish ends.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@andria.lacollege.edu