Re: A good Greek Bible

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 21:42:48 EDT

<x-flowed>>From: "Geoffrey Lessel" <glessel@mail.smu.edu>

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Greek Bible that I could
>get and where I could get one. I've seen parrallel ones,
>but don't want those because I want to learn to translate, not just look at
>the Greek and go "Hmm...I wonder what that means" and then look a few
>inches to the right and find out what someone else thinks. Also, are there
>any that aren't hardback, especially like the leather-bound ones that most
>Bibles are?

Don't neglect the Old Testament Greek in your studies. Most of the Old
Testament quotes and allusions in the NT are from the Greek Septuagint
version.

The Greek Septuagint with some critical apparatus is available in Rahlf's
landmark book.

Septuaginta, ed. A. Rahlfs , Stuttgart: Wrttembergische
Bibelanstalt, 1935; repr. in 9th ed., 1971.

The Parallel column version is Brenton's.

The Septuagint with Apocrypha: Greek and English, CL Brenton, Sanuel
Bagster & Sons, London, 1851. repr. Hendrikson Publishers, 1986-97.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor