Re: Gal 1:6

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 19:12:58 EST

<x-flowed>To: Dr. Carlton L. Winbery, Byron Knutson, et al.,

CLW: << Thus I would translate QAUMAZW OTI hOUTWS TACEWS METATIQESQE APO
TOU KALESANTOS hUMAS EN CARITI EIS hETERON EUAGGELION as "I am amazed that
you are so readily moved from the one who called you by grace to another
gospel." >>

FWIW ... and perhaps contrary to popular opinion, I would take METATIQESQE
as passive, rather than middle, and so translate this passage as: "I am
amazed that so quickly you have been turned away from your calling by
[Christ's] grace into a different gospel" (Gal 1:6 MOT).

By taking METATIQESQE as a passive (or at least a possible passive), I
would then accuse St. Paul of having some pastoral sensibilities. For he
seems here to put the bulk of the blame on another. I see the same
rhetorical strategy at work when he states "there are some who are
confusing you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ" (Gal 1:7); when he
asks "Who has bewitched you?" (Gal 3:1); and also when he says: "I wish
those who unsettle you would castrate themselves!" (Gal 5:12). In each of
these statements the blame has shifted away from the Galatians onto someone
else. It is a very pastoral rhetorical strategy at work here I think. (The
suggestion of taking METATIQESQE as passage appears in LSJM under METATIQHMI.)

Of course, that has nothing to do with the original question.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"