Re: Ign. Eph. 15:3

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 12:14:48 EST

At 11:22 AM -0500 1/3/00, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> At the end of Ign. Eph. 15:3 we ready FANHSETAI PRO PROSWPOU hMWN, EX
>hWN DIKAIWS AGAPWMEN AUTON. "He/It will be made manifest before our face
>(i.e., he will be revealed to us OR it will be made clear to us)..." But
>then what do you make of the plural relative hWN following the
>preposition EX?

I love these puzzles you keep throwing at us. One thought that comes to my
mind immediately is that EX hWN is one of those prepositional phrases
introducing a clause wherein antecedent is implicitly squeezed into the
relative, so that we should understand something like EKEINA/TAUTA EX hWN
DIKAIWS AGAPWMEN AUTON, which could conceivably be the subject of FANHSETAI
PRO PROSWPOU hHMWN; hence: "Those factors in consequence of which we
rightly love him will be manifested before us." i.e. perhaps the subject of
FANHSETAI is NOT Christ but rather the relative clause as a substantive.
(Well, it seemed worth trying ...)

Alternatively (I obviously don't have the larger context PRO PROSWPOU MOU),
is there anything in the preceding text that could provide an antecedent to
hWN? It could be neuter plural even if relatively vague.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu