Re: Mammon-money

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 13:12:12 EST

>> I think the appropriateness of personification is vital to a correct
interpretation.
>>What do you who are wiser and more knowledgeable than I think?
>> By God, Joseph Garnier
>>
>JW:
>... Mammon is not a personification in
>the sense that Wisdom is personfied as a woman in Proverbs.

Jim is correct on this.

>JW:
>Mammon is
>actually nothing more than the aramaic word for "stuff" or "things".
Uh--actually--
Mammon is a Hebrew word that means wealth/money. It is NOT a
personification, contra Garnier above, though Joseph is forgiven because it
might be read that way in the Gospel context if people didn't know Hebrew
or Aramaic.
Ou--did I say Hebrew?
I meant Hebrew. And it is also Aramaic, where it means--"wealth/money".
And frankly, I haven't a decisive clue as to its ultimate etymology.
But it is a common word and means wealth/money. You would have enjoyed
visiting our Aramaic ulpan this month where ordinary mamon turned up in
more than one text.

yisge shlamxon
Randall Buth