Revelation 1:4

From: Grant (grant@cajun.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 23:28:07 EST

Dell Linn,

reference to angels or other created beings? >>>>>>>>>

    I support Bill's response that seven represents perfection.
But I'd like to elaborate somewhat. I learned 7 to represent
"perfection/completion to God's PURPOSES" while 10 signifies
"perfection/completeness to PHYSICAL things such as to the earth."

Thus a commentary on revelation says that the seven spirits indicate the
"fullness/completeness/perfection of the operation of God's holy spirit [in
accordance with his PURPOSE] and that it brings blessings to all who observe
the prophecy."
  What I find interesting is the scripture:

 Revelation 4:5 "And from the throne proceeded lightnings, thunderings, and
voices. And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, WHICH
ARE the seven Spirits of God." [KJV]

So it seems that the seven lamps are called the seven spirits. Lamps would
seems to suggest spiritual enlightment through the holy spirit and once more
7 meaning the "superlative degree" or completeness to which the holy spirit
(according to this function) gives understanding or discernment of the
Revelation prophecy.

Also, one finds the expression "seven spirits of God" at

 Revelation 5:6 "And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of
the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a lamb as
though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the
seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth." [KJV]

This would seem to suggest the completeness of the holy spirit within the
Lamb [Jesus] and that he can use it in accordance with his complete sight or
omniviewing [seven eyes] of the earth's happenings.

On a side not, I understand 666 to represent gross imperfection since it
falls short of 7 "perfection." But I am not dogmatic on this point since
many well-respected scholars on this list may believe it to be more cryptic
such as representing a "name" or "individual" The REASON I add this [about
666] is to show that I am trying to keep a CONSISTANT understanding of how i
view 7 to mean "perfection."

In short, I would say that it is an allusion to the holy spirit and a little
more.
Also, I would be hesitant to say that the seven spirits are angels or other
specific creatures since the seven spirits seems to take on the form of many
symbols [lamps and then eyes]. I think the different symbols it takes on
shows the variety of operations it can have, and the symbol shows that
function.

i apologize for the extensive reply. Please read the other replies also.

In Christ,
Grant Polle
USA