Re: Teaching Greek

From: James Crossley (crossleyjames@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 08:06:12 EST

<x-flowed>To pick up on a few points raised:
I am a PhD student who has studied Greek for about 4 years and has taught
elementary biblical Greek to first year University students. The module
here in Nottingham is in fact run by a Professor (although I have heard that
junior lecturers do usually get given Greek in the UK) but I have been given
certain lessons within this module. This has given me valuable experience in
teaching because it is very different from teaching a 'standard' subject
e.g. 'Life & Teaching of Jesus'. This is also beneficial for first year
undergratuates because they are much more prepared to ask me very basic
grammatical questions than they would an established lecturer (rightly or
wrongly, most students in the UK no longer have a strong working knowledge
of English grammar). I would say that teaching elementary Greek can be done
if the standard grammar is known inside out by the lecturer. Beyond that
it is very difficult to tell. I have found out, obviously perhaps, that
my knowledge of Greek has improved beyond what a basic text book could ever
provide through close textual work which is done alone. Also other languages
such as Hebrew and particularly Aramaic have highlighted many different
points concerning Greek such as bilingualism and interference in Greek
translation. When, or should, this be taught? What should be taught after
elementary Greek? The same questions, of course, apply to other aspects of
Greek that reflect a researcher's interests.

James Crossley,
Dept. of Theology,
University of Nottingham,
U.K.