Re: Junia an Apostle or Junia considered prominent by the Apostles?

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 18:55:11 EDT

Dear Eric,
     You write:

I think Chrysostom is being flowery/poetic. As I reread it, Chrysostom
seems to be saying that if they were just prisoners, Paul maybe would have
referred to them just as "prisoners"; but since Paul uses the word
for"fellow-prisoners," he might mean that they also "fellowed" with him in
like dangers, too. But that's just my guess.

Eric, you are being kind to John Chrysostom, but we have to go by what he
wrote (that you gave me):

And where was Paul a prisoner, that he should call them "my
fellow-prisoners?" A prisoner indeed he had not been, but he had suffered
things worse than prisoners, in being not an alien only to his country and
his family, but in wrestling with famine and continual death, and thousands
of other things.

Chrysostom says that Paul had not been a prisoner in such a way that
Andronicus and Junia could be his fellow-prisoners (Rom 16:7). In fact, he
says that Paul had not been a prisoner.

                                        Yours,
                                        Harold Holmyard