Re: LALEIN - 1 Cor 14:34

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 07:47:29 EDT

<x-flowed>At 22:29 28/05/00, Joseph Brian Tucker wrote:
>Does LALEIN in 1 Cor 14:34 refer to some practice such as ululation, not
>otherwise attested to in the NT?

I see that Harold has already given you a full reply ( with which I am in
complete agreement ) but could I suggest that you make use of a unique
feature of computer lexicons -- the ability to do a reverse search; simply
enter an English term and then find the corresponding uses in Greek.

You can do this by going to the Perseus site, to the lexical aids page,
which is at:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/lexica.html

I have done this on my own hard disk, with the version of the "middle"
Liddell and Scott lexicon that comes with my Bible Windows. I chose to
enter "howl", since the SOED points out that "ululate" is in imitation of
the sound.

In fact, Greek does have something very similar, which is:
ULAW, which has the entry:
only in pres. and imperf. I. to howl, bark, bay, of dogs, II. trans.
to bark or bay at, TINA Od., Theocr. Formed from the sound.

There are other onomatapoeic words, such as:

ANWRUOMAI Dep to howl aloud
ECOLOLUZW to howl aloud
EPWRUW to howl at
WRUOMAI I. Med. to howl, properly of wolves and dogs, Theocr., etc.: Pind.;
of savages, either in mourning or joy, Hdt.

This last one can be found in several places in the Psalms:
22:13 they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring
lion.
38:8 I am utterly spent and crushed; I groan because of the
tumult of my heart.
104:21 The young lions roar for their prey, seeking their food
from God.

The verb appears once in the NT, at 1 P. 5:8 linked, once more, to lions,
as you would expect
  Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a
roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.

This kind of exercise -- apart from widening your Greek vocabulary <g> ---
is a useful guard against straining the ordinary meaning of common terms. (
a no-no known technically as eisegesis <g> )

Regards

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself."
- Johann Albrecht Bengel