Luke 11:1

From: Cassian DelCogliano (cassian@holyroodguild.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 16:26:31 EDT

What is the force of KATWS KAI in Luke 1:11?

KATWS is ordinarily called a comparative conjunction, but it seems here to
blend into a causal use. KAI seems to me to be used for emphasis, i.e.
'even, also, indeed, etc.' The real question is whether KATWS KAI is
purely comparative or at least partly causal, so that the disciples
question could be paraphrased: Teach us to pray, because that it what John
did for his disciples and we want to be in the same relationship to you as
John's disciples were to him.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks much!

Cassian DelCogliano