[b-greek] Re: EPROFHTEUSEN - Luke 1:67

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 06:39:38 EDT

At 4:10 AM -0400 7/1/00, Suedaleg@aol.com wrote:
>I have a question about the form of a verb and its implications if any. In
>Luke 1:67 Luke use the aorist of PROFETEUW. I noticed that in the
>Coptic/Egytian manuscripts it is EPROFUTEUSEN, but in the Byzantine
>manuscripts it is PROEFHTEUSE. I understand the second as the compound is
>PRO-FETEUW. Is the first simply a geographic dialect difference? or is there
>a subtle distinction in how these two grougs may have seen the word?

The more interesting of these forms is PRO-E-FHTEUSE, which follows
standard Greek practice for compound verbs: the augment falls between the
prefix and the tense-stem of the uncompounded verb. Yet I think the verb
PROFHTEUW is actually a denominative formed from the noun PROFHTHS rather
than from some supposed verb FHTEUW which would have been formed from a
noun such as FHTHS or FHTEUS. That is to say: the form PRO-E-FHTEUSE is an
anomaly: a logically produced form that is wrong; I'd guess this could be a
scribal error but certainly the ordinary form would be EPROFHTEUSE(N).