[b-greek] Re: To be born of water

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 02:57:17 EDT

Yochanan Bitan wrote: (re: John 3:5, born of water)

YB>I do not know an idiom lehivaled bemayim, nolad bemayim, or like
idioms.>

I suppose one might similarly claim that "born of the spirit (air)" refers
to natural birth also, since the child first contacts the outside air at
birth.

Personally I'd rather read "born of water and the spirit" per the similar
idiom in Titus 3:5, "washing of regeneration and renewing of the holy
spirit." That is, water is a figure for cleansing from sin, and air
(spirit, ruach) is a figure for God.

In context Jesus said Nicodemus should have known these truths as a teacher
of Israel so presumably one should be able to find these two idioms
together in the OT as well. And I think the idea of cleansing from sin and
spiritual renewal can be found throughout the OT as logical accompaniments
to one another.

Bill Barton