[b-greek] Re: Eph 1:13

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 22:02:31 EDT

Francisco Orozco wrote;
>Eph 1:13
>EN W KAI UMEIS AKOUSANTES TON LOGON THS ALHQEIAS TO EUAGGELION THS SWTHERIAS
>UMWN EN W KAI PISTEUSANTES ESFRAGISQHTE TW PNEUMATI THS EPNGGELIAS TW AGIW
>
>Am I correct in understanding the text in this way:
>
>in whom [XRISTW of v.12] you also having heard the word of truth (= the
>gospel of your salvation) in whom [repeated] also you having believed you
>were sealed with the holy Spirit of the promise (the promised holy Spirit?).
>
>How should the participle aorist be translated? Is ESFRAGISQHTE concurrent
>with PISTEUSANTES ?

Francisco, I have not seen an answer to this question yet. I would point to
a parallel here in vss 7 & 11. EN hW is used there also. All three have
Christ as antecedent. Vs 7 has "In whom we . . ." Vs also has "In whom we .
. ." Vs 13 has "In whom also You . . ." Christ is the antecedent in vs 13
and You is the subject of the main verb and also the circumstantial
participles. The aorist participles should be translated "having heard" and
"having believed" as you have done. I would think from your translation you
see the action of the participles taking place before the action of the
main verb, "you were sealed." I would agree with that.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net