[b-greek] Re: interested in Biblical Greek

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 15:27:15 EST

At 11:52 AM -0800 12/4/00, Keelan Evans wrote:
>I am a college student at UC Berkeley, and would like to seriously
>learn Biblical Greek. I have had one year of Attic Greek, including
>a semester each of Sophocles and Plato. Could anyone recommend
>what they consider the best text for someone with my background?
>I am especially interested in historical linguistics and language
>change.

The one year of Attic INCLUDES a semester each of Sophocles and Plato or
are those semesters beyond a first-year course? I'd think it would have to
be BEYOND a first-year course. IF that's the case, then I'd say, first:
"Blessed art thou" --to have started from that direction rather than tohave
learned NT Greek first and then have to go back to Homer and Aristotle and
Sophocles (as I did).

Then, I'd suggest, you don't really need to do a first-year course in
Koine; rather you need to equip yourself with a good mid-level Koine
Grammar; you might look at the resources listed on Jonathan Robie's Little
Greek page:

        <http://www.ibiblio.org/koine/>

or at Rod Decker's resource page (NT Resources for Greek Grammar and Exegesis):

        <http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm>

at Jay Treat's short web account of "Differences Between Classical and
Hellenistic Greek: A Quick Introduction" at

        <http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~jtreat/koine/classical.html>

I list a number of resources at my own NT Greek Tutorial page:

        <http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/grk300.html>

and there are lots of others--almost any of these pages will lead you to
several others you'll find worth while.

You might do well to get a copy of David Alan Black's _Linguistics for
Students of New Testament Greek_, in which you'll find a lot that's
probably familiar and much else of value that is probably not already
familiar.

There's a lot of resources out there, and I hope you'll find this list
itself a good resource. Godspeed!

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/