[b-greek] ENDIDUSKW

From: Cassian DelCogliano (cassian@holyroodguild.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 16:15:22 EST

I'm reading Luke somewhere at the beginning of chapter 16 and have come
upon the verb ENDIDUSW used as a present middle participle. This verb is
not so common in the NT. BAGD essentially treats it as an equivalent of
ENDUW, i.e. 'to put on, dress'.

But I'm wondering about the effects of the durative reduplication (DI) and
the termination SK Could these not make ENDIDUSKW mean something like 'to
wear' as opposed to 'to put on' (ENDUW)? It seems to me that the root *DU
is basically punctiliar in aspect. ENDUW would then refer to the brief act
of 'putting on' or, if used in the middle, 'getting dressed'. Is it a
plausible analysis to say that ENDIDUSKW changes the basically punctiliar
aspect of the root *DU into a durative aspect by means of the reduplication
and SK termination?

I'd be interested to hear how the new BDAG defines ENDIDUSKW.

(Is there a more linguistically appropriater term for what I call the 'SK
termination'?)

Thanks,
Cassian DelCogliano