[b-greek] RE: EKKLHSIA

From: RUSSELL RANKIN (rrankin@isd.net)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 11:32:32 EST

Tony,

You point to another less technical usage of EKKLHSIA in the NT which can
account for its choice over SUNAGWGH. Besides the meaning of assembly,
EKKLHSIA denotes a "calling out" - from KALEW. Peter translated the Hebrew
word "kerah" / "call" [Joel 2:32] as EPIKALESHTAI [Acts 2:22] and, by
application, PROSKALESTHTAI [Acts 2:40]. Those "called" become the
EKKLHSIA. Both themes are expanded by NT writers.

It may have been that the less technical meaning was first intended and it
later developed into the technical as well. At least EKKLHSIA allows for a
wider application than SUNAGWGH.

Russ