[b-greek] Re: PASAN THN PISTIN

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 20:37:08 EST

Iver Larsen wrote;

>In a reply to Mark Wilson Carl wrote among other things:
>>
>> (1) PAS is one of those "demonstrative" adjectives that is ALWAYS used in
>> the predicative position with respect to article and noun.
>>
>I am not sure what "predicative position" means, but I assume it means
>that when
>PAS modifies a nominal construction it ALWAYS precedes it. If that
>assumption is
>wrong, the following comments may not be speaking to the point. If the
>assumption is right, then we need to clarify the issue.

The "predicative position" for an adjective simply means that the adjective
is outside the nominal structure, i.e., not between the article and head
noun or following the article. It can be in the predicative position and
follow the whole structure. The attributive position for an adjective would
be following the article either preceeding the noun or following the noun.
PAS never occurs in the attributive position with the article. There are
places where no article is used. Some of these could be attributive such as
Matt. 18:16 hINA EPI STOMATOS DUO MARTURWN H TRIWN STAQHN PAN hRHMA: What I
would say is that wherever the noun modified by PAS has the article, PAS
stands in the predicative position.I think this is what Carl said also.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612
Pineville, LA 71359