[b-greek] RE: word order and relative prominence in Greek

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 02:11:00 EST

Dear Iver,
thanks for the detailed analysis of the position of adverbs
relative to verbs.

But my original question was quite simple. If VSO is an abbrevation of
VP, NP(S), NP(O), this order cannot explain the following example,
where the verb and the adverb are split:

John 15:25 EMISHSAN ME DWREAN "they hated me without cause"

So I guess that VSO is an abbreviation of V, NP(S), NP(O), and that it
simply does not take into account adverbials. So, I take word order
VSO to specify the order constraint between V, NP(S), NO(O). In that
case, the position of adverbs should be explained by means of
other constraints. Do I miss something?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea