[b-greek] Re: hOTI ETHRHSAS of Rev. 3.10

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 14:10:10 EDT

<x-flowed>
Alan:

Thanks for reminding me that the punctuation in
our English translations/bibles are guestimates.

I have come up with the following regarding the
two options you present.

-------
>Rev. 3.9c + 10a. 10b (option 1)
>
>KAI GNWSIN hOTI EGW HGAPHSA SE,
> hOTI ETHRHSAS TON LOGON THS hUPOMONHS MOU
>
>KA'GW SE THRHSW EK THS hWRAS TOU PEIRASMOU
--------

This option seems likely for the following reasons:

1. hOTI ETHRHSAS functions as a "normal" subordinate clause.
(I understand that a hOTI subordinate clause can come BEFORE
the main (matrix??) clause, but that it is fairly rare.)

2. KA'GW is KAI EGW, and the future tense of THRHSW seems
to parallel the future tense of POIHSW of verse 9 (yielding
something like, "I will make....and I will keep...")

Then again,

--------
>Rev. 3.9c. 10a +10b (option 2)
>
>KAI GNWSIN hOTI EGW HGAPHSA SE.
>
>hOTI ETHRHSAS TON LOGON THS hUPOMONHS MOU
> KA'GW SE THRHSW EK THS hWRAS TOU PEIRASMOU
--------

This option seems to make for a nice contrast/comparison
with the verb THREW, despite its rare syntactical form.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson