[b-greek] Re: John 4:17-18

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 20:54:48 EDT

on 6/25/01 5:25 PM, Wayne Leman wrote:

> Fronting ANDRA emphasizes it, according to the rules of Greek constituent
> order pragmatic focus.

Wanye,

I have heard this now so many times that I have begun to seriously doubt if
it is true. The expression "according to the rules of Greek constituent
order pragmatic focus" make it sound like these rules were brought down from
Sinai by Moses. I would suggest that these "rules" are perhaps more on the
level of a theory currently in vogue among linguists who have studied
discourse analysis from a certain school of thought.

In other words, I would choose to be very cautious and tentative about the
significance of the fronting of ANDRA. I have read all the works that you
mentioned and numerous others which talk about word order and pragmatics. I
am as yet unconvinced that this "rule" as you stated it is "one of the
assured results of modern linguistics."

Would not be the least surpprised if a decade or two down the road that this
rule about fronting will not be found resting in an academic wrecking yard
among all the other "assured results of . . . whatever."

Doubtfully yours,

Clay Bartholomew

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew