[b-greek] Re: Ignatius to the Ephesians, Greeting

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 00:14:47 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Ghilardi [mailto:qodeshlayhvh@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 3:46 PM
>Dear Richard, Eric and B-greekers,
>Both of you have begun your translations of Ignatius' salutation with
><< Ignatius and Theophorus, >>
>as if "Ignatius" and "Theophoros" were two distinct individuals.
>QEOFOROS is, in fact, a nickname which IGNATIOS has given himself. That
>this is the case is made clear by the structure of the Greek:
>IGNATIOS, hO KAI QEOFOROS
>The presence of the definite article shows that QEOFOROS is in apposition
>to IGNATIOS. It should be rendered into English as follows:
>"Ignatius, who is also called God-bearer..."

Richard, and B-Greekers,

Thank you very much for taking the time. I have to agree, and it makes
sense, too. When I first looked at it, I thought the article seemed to
indicate that the conjunction was doing something other than simply
connecting two words. I let it slip, though.

Looking up FOROS, it seems to indicate a "tribute, or tax; usually paid to a
foreign ruler." Perhaps, it should be "Ignatius, also called Theophorus," as
Lake transcribes it in the Loeb book I am using (I promise, that is the
first time I looked, and the only thing I looked at ;) ). If the word
QEOFOROS is to be considered other than a name, perhaps it would be better
translated "Tribute to God." (Considering Ignatius' story, this makes good
sense, as he considered his coming martyrdom something he owed to God.)
BASTAZWN might be translated "bearer," (as I remember from my Catholic days
TOKOS is supposed to be translated "bearer", but that appears to mean the
result of bringing forth, "offspring, or interest").

>The presence of the article in the Pauline examples always indicates a
>noun in apposition to the second sender, never an additional sender. And
>so it is with Ignatius. The KAI does not join an additional sender to
>IGNATIOS but serves to intensify or emphasize the appositional
>constituent, as the translation above demonstrates. If Ignatius had meant
>to indicate and additional sender, he would have omitted the article
>altogether, thus:
>IGNATIOS KAI QEOFOROS
>Cf. BDAG, KAI 2h and Lake's translation in Loeb.

Yes, I had better look it up. Now that I do, the version of BAGD I have (the
Second Edition) has exactly what you say at "KAI II:8 w. double names hO KAI
_who is also called_" (in my version 2h is under I, and covers an entirely
different use of KAI).

Thanks again, Richard. Your pointers are very helpful, and I treasure them.

Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA