[b-greek] Re: Rom 5:1 PISTEOS

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 19:51:46 EST

Glen L Naftaniel wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to understand Rom 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by
> faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, (NKJ)
>
> My question is about the "by faith." I am wanting to know what the
> antecedent of "faith" (PISTEOS) is. I am thinking that it refers back to
> "us who believe" (hUMAS hOIS MELLEI), in chapter 4:24 "but also for us.
> It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord
> from the dead," (NKJ)
>
> Is this grammatically correct?
>
> Also, can an antecedent be a pronoun?
>
> Any help that can be offered would be appreciated and thank you in
> advance.
>
> Glen Naftaniel
> glensmail@juno.com

Glen:

I've seen Steven's reply and thought I'd add one comment that may help to clarify
this further.

The text: DIKAIWQENTES OUN EK PISTEWS EIRHNHN ECOMEN PROS TON QEON DIA TOU KURIOU
hNMWN IHSOU CRISTOU

PISTEWS here goes with the preposition EK. Prepositional phrases often function as
adverb phrases, and in this case the phrase EK PISTEWS modifies the participle
DIKAIWQENTES. Here I think the preposition EK expresses the means by which one is
justified.

Hope this is some help.

Jim Murray
Racine, WI