[b-greek] RE: Titus 1:6 and Children

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 02:46:50 EST

> In Titus 1:6 are found some of the qualifications for being an elder. It
> says:
>
> EI TIS ESTIN ANEGKLHTOS MIAS GUNAIKOS ANHR TEKNA ECWN PISTA MH EN
> KATHGORIA ASWTIAS H ANUPOTAKTA.
>
> The phrase TEKNA ECWN PISTA has been translated to mean "children that are
> believers". Since PISTA is the adjective PISTOS could the
> translation mean "children that are trustworthy"?

Dear Doug,

I understand you to imply that "believers" is a somewhat misleading
translation in this context, and I think you are right. If one thinks of
belief as a personal, inner conviction, then the parents cannot control the
convictions of their children, although they can do much to lead them
towards faith, mainly by their example, less by their preaching. What Paul
is looking for is probably the fact that you can learn a lot about parents
by looking at the behaviour of their children.

In the somewhat parallel passage in 1 Tim 3:4, Paul says:

TEKNA ECONTA EN hUPOTAGHi

Since PISTOS can mean both trusting and trustworthy, reliable, faithful,
truthful, it makes more sense to me to understand Titus 1:6 together with 1
Tim 3:4 to refer to children being non-rebellious, trusting and trustworthy.

Thanks for bringing it up,

Iver Larsen