[b-greek] Re: NIPTW

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 08:11:18 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 1/15/2002 2:17:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, iver_larsen@sil.org writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
Since this notion has been floated on this list, I cannot resist from saying<BR>
that the idea that the Hebrew word ReGeL, in plural RaGLaYiM, "feet, legs"<BR>
can refer to the sexual organs is a misunderstanding, probably based on a<BR>
failure to realize that ReGeL means leg as well as foot. In certain<BR>
contexts, expressions including legs can be used as euphemisms, such as<BR>
English "spreading the legs". The Gesenius dictionary gives examples of<BR>
euphemisms like "water of the legs" for urine, "hair of the legs" for the<BR>
hair between the legs. Gesenius then says and I quote from the Tregelles<BR>
translation into English "No attention however is to be paid to the opinion<BR>
that RaGLaYiM is to be absolutely understood of the pudenda."<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I should think that Is 6.2 is fairly clear<BR>
<BR>
LXX<BR>
<BR>
KAI SERAFIN hEISTHKEISAN KUKLWi AUTOU, hEC PTERUGES TWi hENI KAI hEC PTERUGES TWi hENI, KAI TAIS MEN DUSIN KATEKALUPTON TO PROSWPON KAI TAIS DUSIN KATEKALUPTON TOUS PODAS KAI TAIS DUSIN EPETANTO.<BR>
<BR>
MT<BR>
<BR>
&amp;:RfFiYM (oM:DiYM MiM.a(aL LWo $e$ K.:NfFaYiM $e$ K.:NfFaYiM L:)eCfD B.i$:T.aYiM Y:KaS.eH FaNaYW W.Bi$:T.aYiM Y:KaS.eH RaG:LfYW W.Bi$:T.aYiM Y:(WoFeF<BR>
<BR>
I hardly think the seraphim are literally covering their feet.&nbsp; The pudenda are clearly intended.<BR>
<BR>
On the transliteration above:&nbsp; It's been some time since I've had any occasion to transliterate Hebrew.&nbsp; I find that my memory of the scheme is faulty.&nbsp; I also find that it's not a very easy matter to locate the transliteration scheme on the b-hebrew site.&nbsp; Does anyone have an URL?<BR>
<BR>
gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>