[b-greek] pluperfect in Mt12.46

From: Rbsads@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 08:18:42 EST

Now that Carl has gently guided me to recognition of the pluperfect form, I
see it everywhere.

12.46-47 ETI AUTOU LALOUNTOS TOIS OCLOIS IDOU hH MHTHR KAI hOI ADELFOI AUTOU
hEISTHKEISAN EXW ZHTOUNTES AUTW LALHSAI. (47) EIPEN DE TIS AUTW, IDOU hH
MHTHR SOU KAI hOI ADELFOI SOU EXW hESTHKASIN ZHTOUNTES SOI LALHSAI.

Does the use of the pluperfect in Mt 12.46 mean that Jesus' mother and
brothers had stood outside, but are not now standing outside? The different
translations do not seem to render any significance to the tense.

If the pluperfect means that they are no longer outside, then does the use of
the perfect in verse 47 imply that that verse has an earlier time reference?

Thank you,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN