[b-greek] RE: Constituents in the "wrong places"?

From: B. Ward Powers (bwpowers@optusnet.com.au)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 00:32:14 EST

<x-flowed>
At 01:24 AM 020327 -0800, Glenn Blank wrote:

> >>But NA's Mr 4.30 be seems extreme, even for Greek
> >>-- you have not only and noun separated from it's adjective,
> >

> >For your information: "its" does not have an apostrophe except when it is
> >an abbreviation for "it is" or "it has". Not when, like here, it is simply
> >a possessive. Anymore than you would put an apostrophe in other possessive
> >pronouns like "hi's" or "her's" or "your's" - there is no apostrophe in
> >pronouns.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Ward
> >

>Tsk, Tsk. I knew that, Ward, just as well as I new that "and" does not
>mean "a,"
>but I typed it anyway. Just like I often type "there" for "their," and
>"new" for "knew." It's called a "typo." You seem to be riding the "it's"
>hobby horse pretty hard lately, though. Any particular reason? But thank
>you for the reminder, and I will try to be more careful next time, but I
>wont make any promise's <g>

It's just an old schoolmaster's mild irritation at seeing this error
recurring, I guess. Probably the consequence of seeing it so often in so
many students' essays and correcting it again and again. Because (apart
from good content) we want them to write in correct English. But if (as you
say) it's just a typo, well, we all make those, and that's not the same as
not knowing.

Ward

                                http://www.netspace.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-8714-7255
259A Trafalgar Street Phone (Australia): (02) 8714-7255
PETERSHAM NSW 2049 email: bwpowers@optusnet.com.au
AUSTRALIA. Director, Tyndale College