[b-greek] Re: The Granville Sharp rule

From: Brent Hudson (brent@riveroflifembchurch.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 09:52:30 EDT

Quote:

When the copulative KAI connects two nouns of the same case, [viz. nouns (either substantive or adjective, or participles) of personal description, respecting office, dignity, affinity, or connexion, and attributes, properties, or qualities, good or ill], if the article hO, or any of its cases, precedes the first of the said nouns or participles, and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle: i.e. it denotes a farther description of the first-named person … .

Sharp, Remarks on the Uses of the Definitive Article, p. 3. (quoted by Daniel B. Wallace, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : An Exegetical Syntax of the Greek New Testament, (Zondervan: 1996), p. 271.

Wallace gives full treatment to this in his Grammar. It would be worth the time for you to read it.

Brent Hudson
Moncton, Canada