[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: John Hagelin: Old vs New Approach in Agriculture

"B. McClinton" <b.mcclinton@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

	An even bigger snip. :-)

>>         So, perhaps what we should be doing, rather then hoping for an 11th
>> hour solution through science, is to take a hard look at how we
>> produce food now. Perhaps it is time for another form of *enclosure*.
>> This is not a pleasent pill to swallow, but none the less a possibly
>> necessary one.
>>

>I do not agree with you that we can no longer depend on technological
>fixes. The evidence does not support this hypothesis at the present time.
>However, this will likely change sometime in the future unless population
>growth is stabilized.

	This is what Malthus was concerned about. They were winning but for
how long?

There is also potential to improve agricultural
>production in developing nations with existing technologies.

	Certainly there is. But, how do we go about it? You are talking about
countries that have resisted change for years. Either due to
governments or religion or culture. Do we just walk in and take over?
We might have to. This is the similarity I was thinking of when I
mentioned "enclosure".

>Contrary to what Malthus believed, the evidence shows that high
>birthrates are directly related poverty levels. The population growth
>problem will likely disappear as the wealth of third world peoples
>increases.

	Malthus stated that people should have only as many children as they
could *afford* to feed. It seems that here in North America, Welfare
payments for years has been tied to the number of children a person
has, the more children, the more money. Not in every case but enough
to support the complaint.

	It seems we have never gotten away from the idea that a large family
implies wealth.

	More on topic though, we as a world are going to have to wake up and
smell the coffee. If we do not bring about fundemental changes in the
way we grow and consume food, we are in deep trouble. The idea of
dedicating something like 20 acres to raise 1 steer is somewhat
ridiculous. The fact that here in Canada, 90% of the population lives
on 10% of the land and that land comprises some of the best farmland
in the country. And what do we do? Pave it over or build housing on
it.

	Something has to change and soon. The next war, IMHO, will be over
energy and food. And it won't be pretty.

	Peter

egards,

>Blair McClinton

The use of the above address for unsolicited advertising mail
will result in you finding out why I'm called The Evil One

Follow-Ups: References: